Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Exclusive Interview with Maya Simantov!

In 2005, Star 69 Records made history with the release of Offer Nissim’s “First Time” album with singer/song writer Maya Simantov. Never before has dance music heard such a unique voice with meaningful lyrics. Hits from the album entered billboard top 25 and top 10 on billboard’s dance/club play. Following the success of “First Time,” Star 69 released "Second Time" in 2006. The latest release from Offer Nissim and Maya, "Remixed" features special remixes from the previous albums and a number of new releases with Maya and other artists. Maya Simantov took the time to answer questions about the latest release and other topics with an exclusive interview with Star 69’s Haim Kalontar.

Star 69 recently released the album Offer Nissim: Remixed which features your vocals with producers that we normally would not have had the chance to hear your voice with - Which one of these remixes is your favorite?

I personally loved the "Heartbreaking" remix on that album. I thought it captured the sad mood and gave it life from another direction.

Before the Sied Van Riel remix of “For Your Love” it seemed like the Top 10 DJ’s/Producers in DJ Mag Top 100 knew nothing about Maya Simantov. After that remix the world’s #1 DJ, Armin Van Buuren featured “For Your Love” in his A State of Trance radio show and mix compilation. Would you consider collaborating with Armin Van Buuren or Tiesto?

Absolutely! It is very flattering to be featured by top DJ's such as Armin Van Buuren. I wouldn't say no to this kind of opportunity to be able to combine two musical worlds.

How were you introduced to Offer Nissim?

I was introduced to Offer by Yinon Yahel whom I had met a year earlier at a mutual friends studio. Yinon literally pushed a microphone over to me to sing for Offer. He was insisting for someone to hear my voice. Then only 6 months later, exactly on my birthday, we recorded "That's the way I like it" which was first released on Star 69.

Which individuals would you say played the biggest role in advancing your career?

I believe first it was Yinon who made sure I would be heard by someone and even though he was a musician himself who needed exposure of his own, he never put himself first and was completely willing to work behind the scene in order to let me develop and he actually pushed himself a side all these years which is why I am so happy that now people are beginning to realize just how talented he is, and it's definitely his time to shine.When we met Offer of course he influenced me and gave me a lot of support and inspiration and we recorded our first album. I was able to enjoy his experience and musical world. Star 69 with Peter helped us break the boundaries of Israel and take our music all over the world.

Is it true that you wanted to study psychology before your music career began?

I was actually studying psychology in a university. People's emotions was something that always intrigued me but very soon I understood that I couldn't escape what I wanted to do forever, and had to face the fact that I didn't belong there. My heart is with singing!

Many of your songs are very descriptive and one feels like he did not hear just a song but actually saw a movie or read a novel. From where do you get all these lyrics? Did you have a journal where you wrote down your emotions in poetic form sometime in your life or do you go back to the feelings that you had and create something based on that emotional experience?

When something happens to me I can write about it instinctively. Both lyrics and melody come out of that moment in time when I need to capture my feelings and get over something - it's like therapy for me. Even if I'm totally happy I can still always have a channel to these dark feelings I once felt and I can immediately connect myself to that place and that helps me deal with the past. For this reason I describe every moment so that it is almost like writing a journal that helps you ease the pain of that experience.

“Wish You Were Here” has a line that says “I’m bleeding here I’m filled with fear…” Should we the fans believe every word you say or is it exaggeration on your part? Did all of this really happen?

I only write about things that happen, still a line that says: "I'm bleeding here" probably means "my heart is bleeding" and I feared of losing that person. I only need to describe how broken I was, I think I'm a dramatic girl… :)

I was lucky to see you perform live a couple of times and I was surprised with the ease with which you sing. Your singing seems so effortless and without strain. Your voice is very unique and one cannot get satiated from it. Your biographies state that you began singing at the age of 2 and it appears you were born to sing. Please tell us more about your childhood years and especially how music was part of your life.

First of all thank you... I was singing ever since I remember myself. I always knew it was my purpose in life. I knew in my heart that's why I was here and maybe it goes with you from another life. As a child I would always look for places, bands, groups etc where I could do what I love doing although I was very shy and had to get over it. It's still hard and I didn't care about being famous, I only wanted to be able to be involved with creative people all my life.

I believe I saw your father at one of your performances. Does your father follow you to every performance and what role have your parents played in your music career?

It is hard to believe, but in Israel my father accompanies me to every single show; he is my biggest fan. Since I was a child he did everything in his power to help and support me and it was his dream just as it was mine. He was by my side all the way and I cannot be thankful enough for that gift. My mom is also very proud only she is more of the worried mom who wants to make sure I'm always happy in all areas of life…

When will your upcoming album be out?

Hopefully soon! We know it's been five long years since the release of "First Time" but our fans are still with us waiting and that is amazing. We want to make sure the next album is just as good as "First Time" was, and we all inspire for perfection, so as you can imagine, it takes time.

Last time you gave a performance in New York it was in September of 2007 with Peter Rauhofer. When your new album will be released will we see another appearance from Maya in New York?

I love coming to New York and I certainly hope that when the album will be released we will have the opportunity to come to NY! It is always mind blowing to witness all the love we receive over there and I really appreciate it a lot.

Check out the numerous releases from Offer Nissim and Maya on the Star 69 Records website and stay tuned for the upcoming releases from Offer Nissim and Maya!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

luv it! i'm just wondering why there aren't any REAL music videos of her performing the offer tracks.